Museum:SILENT NIGHT MUSEUM ARNSDORF
Copperplate engraving representing “Saint Maria of Armsdorf”. View of the Pilgrimage Church with the Virgin Mary surrounded by angels. One angel carries the date “MCCCXX” - 1820. Next to the Church is a schoolhouse, recognisably that in which Gruber taught. The village of Arnsdorf was at this time a popular place of pilgrimage, the “Maria im Mösl” – literally “Maria in the Marsh” or “Moor” (the word “Mösl” is a diminutive form of the word “Moos”, which in Austrian German can mean “moor”, “marsh”, or “moss”).
Photo & Text: Hemma Ebner
Back to overview