Order publications

CIRCULAR

Museum:
SILENT NIGHT MUSEUM ARNSDORF
Place:
Lamprechtshausen/Arnsdorf

As a teacher Franz Xaver Gruber was required to keep a “circular book”, in which he recorded the directives of the schools administrative board. Several such “circulars” are contained in this document. The first, from 1820, is particularly long. It covers 31 densely inscribed sides and treats numerous questions of Austrian public education, from school registration and assessment, to the final certificates. The reason for these detailed instructions to teachers and school inspectors is clear: in 1816 Salzburg became part of Upper Austria (having been under Bavarian control since 1809), and the Salzburg schools had to conform to the Austrian educational system.

Photos: Stefan Zenzmaier and Hemma Ebner
Text: Eva Neumayr

Back to overview

Loading