Franz Xaver Gruber
Franz Xaver Gruber was born on November 25, 1787 in Hochburg. Since the War of the Bavarian Succession in 1779, this no longer belonged to the Bavarian Rent Office Burghausen, but had been ceded to Austria, like the entire Innviertel. In 1805 Franz Xaver Gruber received instrumental and organ training from the Burghausen parish organist Georg Hartdobler. Hartdobler was born in 1774 in Stubenberg, Lower Bavaria, not far from Simbach am Inn. From 1799 to 1850 he was the parish organist in Burghausen. Michael Haydn called him in 1806 a "masterful and excellent" organist.
Museums, memorials, events
Together with Hochburg-Ach and the Franz-Xaver-Gruber-Gemeinschaft
Using an organ on the occasion of 200 years of “Silent Night! Holy Night! ”in 2018
In 2008 the Burghausen City Museum loaned the Franz Xaver Gruber Memorial House in Hochburg a Fortepiano on which Gruber played his first piece. History tells that Georg Hartdobler heard Franz Xaver Gruber play it.
Local Community - City of Burghausen
Burghausen is a member of the Franz-Xaver-Gruber community and maintains close relationships with Hochburg-Ach across the river Salzach. Franz Xaver Gruber left his mark in the neighboring town of Burghausen through organ lessons with Georg Hartdobler.
Burghausen was first mentioned in a document in 1025, however, the place name Burghausen ("near the houses at the castle") indicates that it was founded in the 8th century. A castle has stood in the town since as early as the 11th century that in 1255 was expanded to become a state fortress. At 1051 meters, the castle complex is now the longest castle in the world and one of the most impressive works of medieval castle and fortress construction.
The city experienced an economic and political boom until the end of the 16th century. A new economic boom followed when Alexander Wacker built a plant for the electrochemical industry in Burghausen in 1916 - the world's first acetone factory. In the decades that followed, the industrial and urban areas grew steadily and the Burghauser Neustadt was created. The old town was preserved in an outstanding urban cohesion.
Today, Burghausen, as the center of the Bavarian Chemical Triangle, is not only an important industrial location, but with the world's longest castle, the old town and the large range of leisure, art, culture and sports facilities, it is also an attractive, livable and nationally known city. The outstanding events include the Burghausen International Jazz Week and the Historical Castle Festival.