Silent Night Museum Oberndorf

On the occasion of Christmas, 1818, Franz Xaver Gruber and Joseph Mohr performed "Silent Night! Holy Night!" for the first time in the St. Nicholas church. Gruber served as organist for the Oberndorf church from 1816-1829, while Mohr was assistant priest (1817-1819). This church was torn down around the turn of the century, and on its site now stands the Silent-Night-Memorial Chapel. The chapel, a memorial plaque on the caretaker's house where Mohr lived, and a monument in front of the new parish church give recognition to the events of 1818.

The Silent Night Museum focuses on the theme of the Christmas carol "Silent Night!" and the history surrounding its origin, including, for example, the history of the salt shipping trade. Visitors can listen to many translations of the song at earphone stations in the sound room.

Thursday to Sunday from 10 AM until 6 PM
First Saturday in advent to January 6, July and August daily from 10 AM until 6 PM

For further information and group reservations Tel. +43 (0) 6272 / 4422


Website
http://www.stillenacht-oberndorf.com/

Artefakte

Schiffsmodel

Eine Hallasch (der Name leitet sich vermutlich vom keltischen "Hall" - Salz ab), war neben Zille und Floß der am häufigsten verwendete…

Harmonium

According to oral tradition, the harmonium exhibited here stood in the sexton’s house, which still survives today. Here the assistant…

Theatre Curtain

Theatre curtain from the Schöffleuttheater (the Boatmen’s Theatre). Painted linen, reinforced with two cross bars. Copy of the original…

Nepomuk Cross

Nepomuk cross, made of beaten brass and encircled with a band of metal. The arms of the cross reach out to their spherical ends. In the…

Nikologartl

A Nikologartl is a little garden on a base surrounded by a fence. The four corner posts have golden nuts mounted on them. The four candles…

Sewing-Box Nativity

Sewing-box nativity which opens up; lined with paper inside with a picture of Laufen inside the lid. The nativity figures are the…

Door

Oak door with hand-forged iron fitting and door lock. Believed to be the door to the sacristy of the former church of St. Nicola. Photo:…

Photograph

This black and white photo shows the Altach district of Oberndorf in the 1899 floods. Oberndorf experienced the worst floods in its history…

Photograph

This black and white photo shows a view of the old boatmen’s settlement on the banks of the Salzachknie (a loop formed by the river…

Nativity Scene

Large nativity figures used in the church of St. Nicola in Oberndorf from 1792 to 1906. A wax cast was used to make the sheep; the figures…

Poster celebrating the centenary of Silent Night

Poster celebrating the centenary of Silent Night in August 1924, announcing the Silent Night play with songs by Michael Gundinger,…

St. Catherine of Sweden

Figure of St. Catherine of Sweden in a glazed wooden shrine, together with a deer. The figure has a wax head with glass eyes, similar to…

St. John of Nepomuk

Wooden sculpture of St John of Nepomuk, portrayed as a priest wearing a cloak with a cross in his left hand. St John of Nepomuk is…

Poster

Poster marking the occasion of the consecration of the Silent Night Chapel on 15 Aug 1937. In the art nouveau style using the…

Gallery Columns

Two identical columns from the old church of St. Nicola in Oberndorf. These are believed to have supported the gallery. They are made of…

Lock

Original lock from the old church of St. Nicola in Oberndorf. Hand-forged lock with two handles and two loose fittings. Photo: Wilhelm…

Watercolour

Portrayal of the origins of the Christmas Carol Silent Night at Christmas in the year 1818. This watercolour was painted by Franz Kulstrunk…

Order Silent Night publications